Wednesday 15 January 2014

Catastrophizing


catastrophize
kəˈtastrəfʌɪz/
verb
  1. 1.
    view or present a situation as considerably worse than it actually is.

I heard this term used on Law and Order SVU a couple days ago (can we have a moment for the fact that I watched the whole of season 15 in like 5 days yes okay) and I have been turning it over in my mind since. It brought me a comfort to know that there was a term for what I had been doing throughout most of my conscious life: making small, mundane problems into hugely out-of-proportion mountains I just stared at, incapable of surmounting. I've made it my mission to stop. Because who needs fictional headaches when there are enough realities to contend with?

Yes 1am thinking is extra productive.

Can we have a sec for this though?

When in doubt here is a pile of sweaters. Make one at home kids. It fills you with woolen joy.

Just blame growing pains.


So yeah, as I plunge into the confusion, chaos, and unknown of 2014 (namely traveling, university, moving, etc), I will try my very hardest not to make mountains out of mole hills. Or cry over spilled milk. Or generally assume the world is going to end (well it will. But not because you spent an extra 20 euros.) Things will work themselves out, they usually do. And when they don't, their importance in your life will diminish with the forgiveness of time. So go eat a pain au chocolat and be happy.

Love always,
Coral


1 comment:

  1. Getting out in the world is helping you do just that Beanie <3so proud of you for climbing mountains every day <3

    ReplyDelete