Saturday 19 April 2014

Dear April II: It Got Colder, Easter, Cafes and Canals

http://blog.freepeople.com/2014/03/monday-quote-awake/



Dear April,

I think you got a little carried away after my praise in my previous letter. You were frigid today, a mere five degrees this morning, and my sleep-deprived muscles seized up like they tend to do in November and I felt cheated by you. Easter is tomorrow. It's weird being away from home during a celebration so central to family and days spent at the beach hunting for tiny eggs wrapped in milticoloured tinfoil. But there is a tiny package wrapped in brown paper on my bed and that will suffice for my singularity this easter sunday. My friends have dispersed around Europe but I have refused to be lonely here, and I have devised a plan that makes my heart sing, which we will discuss tomorrow, April.

Today I painted easter eggs with watercolours and had a croissant for breakfast from my favourite bakery and a picnic for lunch with P. We huddled under a picnic blanket on metal chairs by the pond in the Tuileries and I read her Charlie and the Chocolate Factory aloud. We decorated her apartment for easter and listened to Of Monsters and Men.

After work I walked to the canal. I sighed into a chair by the window of my favourite cafe and read Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close while sipping a marvelous chai tea latte and carving away at a gooey brownie aux noisettes.

The rain began to patter the street halfway through my cafe meditation and it brought a sincere happiness.

I don't mind if you rain, April.

Love always,
Coral


No comments:

Post a Comment