Monday 21 October 2013

Edinburgh Arrival

I am sitting on a beaten old leather couch next to a real fireplace in the Castle Rock Hostel in Edinburgh, facing two huge windows overlooking what seems to be Edinburgh Castle. I have a chips food baby and hobnobs in my bag. I have internet and I arrived alive.
My only problem seems to be the fact that I may never want to leave.
It's grey and dark and rainy but it's so cozy in here and everyone has the most endearing accents and the scenery is stunning and the old buildings are similar to those of Montmartre.
I'm tired and a bit lost and confused but I have an overwhelming sense of comfort and happiness.
Let's start at the beginning.

After arriving at Porte Maillot and locating the coaches, I paid the 16 euro fee (gasp) and was shuttled to Paris (bu not really Paris at all) Beauvais airport. Upon arrival I weighed my (teensy tiny) duffel, and it was 11 KILOS. Yes, 1 kilo overweight. The friendly check in lady told me to just take out some clothes, so I lined up for security carrying two pajama pants and three tops. OKAY SO THE CLOTHES ARE NOT IN MY BAG I'M STILL TAKING THEM ON THE PLANE. I swear to god Ryan Air is so weird. Anyways no one ever actually weighed/measured my bag so it could have been 65 kilos and a regular suitcase and no one would have cared. But knowing my luck that would be the day they decide to enforce regular baggage measuring.

Anyways so I get on the plane and get off the plane and locate the bus and get off at the wrong stop, so I walk in a circle, go to Starbucks for tea and wifi, then locate my hostel. The front desk lady greets me with a beaming smile, tells me I am in the Snow White bed, and gives me a pamphlet with Scottish Highland Tours.

Upon arrival in my room (The Seven Dwarves that Failed their Screen Test or something of that comedic nature) I meet one of my roommates, who is from GUESS WHERE?! Oh yeah, Richmond, B.C. I felt even more at home and plunked my heavy bag down to go find food.

Food presented itself in the form of chips with brown sauce, a cup of tea, hobnobs, and water. Healthy balanced meal say what?

Anyways I am presently in the "Posh Lounge" with wifi and a real fireplace and comfy couches and everything is perfect. I might not go back.
(justkidding?)

Love always,

Coral

1 comment: