Monday 10 March 2014

BASTILLE

I must write this right now.
Because my ears are ringing and my heart is still pounding and my skin feels alive. My veins are crawling with the sweat and pounding beat and throbbing melodies of the concert I have just witnessed.
I didn't expect this much.
To be honest, I had become slightly out of touch with these music makers I had cherished a year ago.
To give some backstory, Bastille were the ones blasting on my iPod last spring when I pounded the pavement on the way to work as the sun beat down on my face and I dreamed of a foreign land I would soon be living in, of a mystical place I had only dreamed of. I remember every inch of my body throbbing to leave the place I was in, and for the time being, they were the ones who reminded me there was more out there.

{under the weight of living//you're under the weight of living}

So I got here. I made it. I'm living in this city that swells with its presence, and as Lexi and I walked to the metro after the concert, the air was thick and full of the honey of summer. And I felt very much alive. I hadn't been feeling so alive in previous weeks. I think I had gotten out of touch with myself a little bit, and had been taking mostly everything for granted. Tonight reminded me of community, everyone pulsating in time, drawn together by a communal need for music.

{this is your heart//can you feel it, can you feel it//pumps through your veins//can you feel it, can you feel it}

Towards the end of the night, Dan played Flaws, my favourite song. And not only that, but I turned to my right to see that he had descended into the pit, and was making his way towards the centre, where I stood. Caught up in the tidal wave of people, and Dan in there with us as he sang, I felt the warmth of his hoodie beneath my fingertips and I realized that he is human, just like the rest of us. We are all in this psychotic dance to the finish line together and we are all fumbling for love, for togetherness, for life, for music.

{you have always worn your flaws upon your sleeve//and I have always buried them deep beneath the ground}

All in all, thank you Bastille. Thank you for reminding me what a thrill it is to shoot down the albatross.

Love forever and always,
Coral




















No comments:

Post a Comment