Wednesday 5 March 2014

Berlin Day 2

Sorry for the delay folks. My computer was in a coma.

Alright, so my second day in Berlin began (as is tradition for my over-excited first mornings in new places) with an early morning stroll to the Berlin Wall Memorial at Gartenstrasse. I won't try to convey the feels because there are too many and you can probably tell just from looking at the photos what an intense place it was to be. The metro station there, Nordbahnhof, was out of service during the time of the wall and used as an escape route for East Berliners. The wall of memorial photos for fatalities at this stretch of wall was so very impactful. One of the boys was just thirteen, and so many died just before the wall was destroyed.








I then took a casual and sun-filled walk to the Reichstag, you know, as you do. It was huge. And very surreal.



To calm my feels, the next stop was a stroll through my favourite place, the Tiergarten, and it was amazing. Daughter's "Woods" was playing through my mind the whole time.




look who I found!

The Victory Column in Tiergarten
Okay, so, the one time I took the metro in Berlin was to get to the East Side Gallery, arguably the most anticipated spot on my itinerary. Again, there are no words, and for that I am sorry, since as a writer I am supposed to dispute the "a picture is worth a thousand words" cliche. But in this case, it really is. The East Side Gallery is a mile long stretch of preserved wall that has been covered in politically-centered graffiti. The result is something beautiful made from something horrible.







Of course, there were so many more, but that would clog like my whole blogger platform. So. 
And then I had a 2.50 noodle box back in the Tiergarten as the sun set.



The last stop on my two-day trip was to Checkpoint Charlie, which wasn't much more than a few mock signs and a mock U.S. army checkpoint, but it was still cool to stand there, and very symbolic, I might add, as I crossed the checkpoint from east to west to get a McDonald's hot fudge sundae.



Berlin, tu me manques.
I hope to see you again.

Love always,
Coral


No comments:

Post a Comment