Sunday 1 September 2013

PARIS DAY 1!!!!!!!: Arc de Tripmphe, Champs D'Elysees, Jardin des Tuileries, Pont des Arts ("Love Lock Bridge"), Notre Dame from afar, The Seine Booksellers, Shakespeare and Company, Climbing the Eiffel Tower, and the Eiffel Tower at Night

Yes, we did all of the above in less than a day in Paris. The Eurostar was very speedy, and we arrived in Paris around 10:40 a.m. After checking my mum and brother's bags, we got very lost heading to the b&b where they were staying, and where my aupair mom would pick me up.

We eventually made it, and after dropping my stuff off at her house, she kindly drove us to L'Arc de Triomphe. My hand flew to my mouth as I saw it approaching, and when I saw the Eiffel Tower peeking out from behind the trees and buildings, I fell madly in love with this city. Something about it felt right. I hold on to that feeling whenever I'm doubtful or homesick.


 We then walked down the adjoining Champs D'Elysees, which fed into the beautiful Jardin des Tuileries: a sprawling, green park that was exceptionally clean, full of arching trees and blooming flowers, and people lazing about on the grass. (Who said you can't sit on the grass in Paris?)















Thinking we'd pop over the Seine to check out Shakespeare and Company in the Latin Quarter, one of my most anticipated sights, we walked over a bridge. My heart stopped when I noticed the padlocks tightly fastened to the bridge, and I was overcome with the strongest emotion at an inanimate object, at simply being in a place. I've waited so long to be here, and I've achieved that goal. It's a pretty crazy feeling.






So as we walked along the Seine we noticed another bridge approaching. It turns out, the bridge we had crossed was just an overflow of the main "Love Lock Bridge", Pont des Arts. We strolled onto it and a man played the accordion as lovers kissed. It really made me believe in love, as cheesy as this all sounds.















By the time we arrived at Shakespeare and Company, my emotions, feet, and muscles were shot. We wandered around the towering bookshelves with old wooden ladders leaning against them, and ascended the stairs leading to the library and writers' room. The library was old and dusty and contained the most ancient of books. One room held two beds and a typewriter, and the other held chairs arranged in a kind of circle with a typewriter set beneath the window. When I noticed there's a writers' group that meets here on Saturdays, I fell even deeper in love with this city.


We then arrived at the Eiffel Tower, and decided to skip the long elevator line and climb the twisting stairs to the second floor. The views were absolutely breathtaking, and the climb wasn't bad at all! I highly reccomend it if you're headed this way. After a wander and a drink, we walked back to the Eiffel Tower around seven or eight to see it light up. The lights were turning on as we arrived and the sun set, and all of a sudden, millions of lights blinked and sparkled for five minutes. It took my breath away, and was easily one of the most beautiful urban sights I have yet to see.


































We wearily made our way back to the b&b where my aupair mom picked me up from again. She is one nice lady.
This day was perfect, and I miss it already.


Love always,
Coral



1 comment:

  1. So many beautiful memories of being together in your new city :) I will never forget your face when you entered Shakespeare and company <3

    ReplyDelete