Thursday 8 August 2013

England Day 1!

Yesterday, August 7th, at 1pm Vancouver time, I arrived at YVR airport.
My plane departed Vancouver at 4:25 and arrived at London Gatwick at 10am August 8th.
I proceeded to navigate the extremely tiny airport and successfully print off my train tickets. Step one. Didn't get lost at the airport after waiting a nerve-wrackingly long time at the baggage claim while jostling a camera bag and an oversized duffel filled to the brim with unnecessary objects. My not getting lost and keeping my sanity at 2am Body Clock Time was largely to do with meeting an extremely warm-hearted family who also were waiting extortionate lengths of time to pull their suitcases from the dizzying metal carousel.
After claiming my baggage and clearing customs it was around 11:15 London Time, 3:15 Body Clock Time. So I downed a Costa Coffee latte and waited two hours for my 1:03pm train to Reading. At 2:15pm London Time, after falling asleep on the train briefly and promptly being yelled at for propping my feet up on the empty seat next to me, I arrived at Reading. Reading train station is basically what someone's kitchen looks like mid-renovation, random floorboards and cupboards and dishwashers uninstalled. Because of this haphazard, incomplete, run-down station, the information screen at each platform did not display the train that was scheduled to be arriving. So I I rolled my hard case suitcase, duffel bag, and camera case around in a panicked state until a nice lady told me that the station I was at was the correct one. Yay for not precariously balancing an oversized suitcase on yet another escalator.
The train proceeded to be an hour late, and I left Reading at 3:30pm, or 7:30am Body Clock Time. Keep in mind that I had probably had a total of one hour of sleep since 8am Body Clock Time the previous morning. Is your head hurting yet?
I then chatted to a friendly Cornwall music festival goer on the train who shared stories of the Red Light District of Amsterdam and sketchy taxi drivers in Egypt, refueling my fading wanderlust.
So I arrived at my final destination: the lovely, rustic, red-sand seashore of Newton Abbot, at the ripe hour of 5:30 pm England time, or 9:30am Body Clock Time.
After socializing with the long lost family members, it is now 9:42pm England time, or 1:42 pm Vancouver time, totalling me with a lovely 29 hours and 42 minutes give or take of being awake in the world, participating in the masochism of what we call travel.

I wanted to share something with you that my almost seven-year-old cousin said to me earlier this evening as she was helping me unpack.
"Whenever I don't see someone for a long time, it feels like there is a part of them missing."
I hope you're the same when I see you again. I hope you don't go losing pieces.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lil Mo <3 I hope I don't have any missing pieces <3

    ReplyDelete