Saturday 24 August 2013

England Day 14: Teignmouth, Dawlish, and Dinner; Our Last Day in Devon

Hello all,

Day 13 was just me and the bro shopping in Torquay, so I fast forwarded to day 14: Dawlish.

Today was our last day in Devon, England. Tomorrow we drive four hours to my aunt's house in Maidenhead, about forty-five minutes from London. Yay for long journeys packed into a car with six suitcases and two small children. (I love them, really.)
We started off the day with a trip to Teignmouth. It's a little beachside fishing village similar to Torquay, but much more quaint and quiet. My mum, brother, and I left the children at the play park with my aunt and uncle, and ventured into the little town. It was narrow streets lined with towering, multi-coloured buildings: the usual format of a little shop underneath a small flat. The shops consisted of tourist stops overflowing with beach floaties and other summer holiday paraphernalia, little kitshy houseware stores, coffee shops, and miscellaneous shops needed for the locals.









We passed up the newly opened Costa for a local coffee joint, and glad we were that we did. The baristas were friendly and one of their daughters hovered around her mother as she finished her shift. The lattes tey whipped up were scorching hot and perfectly milky. When I told her that I came in to support the small business as opposed to the chain Costa, she beamed and handed me an extra ginger snap biscuit to have with my latte, a British tradition I have thoroughly enjoyed.

After Teignmouth, we drove to Dawlish, a very cute and quaint village along a gently flowing river. We raced leaves down the river as we made our way to the central town by the beach. There, we had our traditional devon cream with clotted ice creams (with a flake), and my brother and I ventured across the river to play in the arcade and look in the shops. I discovered my absolute favourite shop from Devon, Ten Green Bottles. It's a vintage, hand-made-esque homeware store, with tiny tables set up with china teacups and saucers along the side. They sold every little thingy-ma-bob item you could ever need for making a house a home: chabby-chic distressed picture frames, decorative drawer knobs, throw pillows decorated with applique bunting, tiny stuffed birds, fabric bunting strips, and other affordable and adorable decorative items. I picked out a garland spelling out "home" in gingham fabric decorated with little bows. I'm going to hang it in my "home" in Paris, hopefully it will make it feel more like a home.




Ducks being daring at the top of the waterfall!








Baby chickies!












Just look at all that clotted cream. *cough*diabetes*cough*




Ten Green Bottles, my new fave homewares and gift store!





After ice cream and shopping, we stopped by the beach before heading home and out for dinner. The beach was magestically beautiful, the seafront lined qith the token multi-coloured houses, seagulls mid-flight against the cloudy blue sky, cliffs framing the view with jagged red rocks and emerald green fields. My brother and I walked along a rocky pier protruding into the wavy waters, admiring the view and snapping pictures, my brother taking a liking to my camera.

















Dinner was wonderful, a lovely vegetarian curry with naan and a pompadom and nachos I shared with Bryn, and the most delicious pint of lager shandy. Dessert was a toffee apple crumble with custard, and Bryn ordered the Big Candymania. It definitely was big: it arrived in a huge goblet and contained ridiculous amounts of chocolate bars, cookies, chocolate, and ice cream. I felt bad for not sharing it with him, but the sight of it made me queasy. He didn't struggle too badly to finish it though, oh to be a fifteen-year-old boy.
Overall, Devon has been wonderful. Beaches, shopping, and spending time with family, not to mention extraneous amounts of food and puddings (desserts), make for an amazing seaside holiday. I look forward to Maidenhead, London, and Paris.
Love always,


 Coral

No comments:

Post a Comment