Monday 12 August 2013

England Day 4: Grandma's Birthday!

Hello!

Today I awoke to the seventy-first birthday of my grandma. I forced myself out of bed early in the morning and padded to her bedroom with my card, and met my grandad on the stairs who was ascending with three cups of tea and a stack of mail for my grandma. Not  a bad birthday morning!
We spent the morning opening cards as my grandma gave a description of each person who had sent her something, noting the ones who had never missed a birthday. After all the cards had been carefully opened, read, and set aside, we chatted for the better part of an hour of my grandparents' time in France, where they had had cottages for many years. Don't ask me how we got on the subject... their trains of thought sometimes get derailed and launched in a completely random direction.
After breakfast and birthday phone calls, we headed off for a day out. First we went to Kingsbridge (very far away for a short stroll along the quay, but pretty nonetheless), and then we met up with my aunt, uncle, and cousins for a day at Brixham.

We had lunch at a great pirate-themed diner that served up proper tea, and many english bakes. I had the vegetarian lasagna again (seems to be a popular British vegetarian option) with peas and chips (fries). The meal was filling, but my uncle pressured me into having a pudding, so I selected the trifle, which came with rainbow (!!!!!) sprinkles and ice cream (I have no idea how they make their ice cream here, but it's flipping delicious.)
After lunch we walked through the pretty town to the beach, which was full of pretty views and steep cliffs, and had an awesome salt-water swimming pool that my cousins promptly jumped in. Oh to be a preteen again. Maybe not.

















We returned home exhausted and happy. It was a great day with some of my favourite people, and I hope to have many more like it before I leave to Paris.

Love always,
Coral

1 comment:

  1. Devon Ice cream is made with real cream, often with milk from Jersey cows :)Not filled with sugar and preservatives like North American Ice cream. Sooo much better :D

    ReplyDelete